David and I inherited a few pounds of frozen tomatillos from our friend Elaine when she moved up north and what better way to use it but to make some homemade salsa?! David found a recipe in the grocery store and it was very easy to make.
This is what you need:
- 1 lb tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 3-4 serrano chili
- 1 jalapeno chili
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Grill tomatillos and peppers in the oven until their peels blacken a bit, then take them out, flip them over and do the same on the other side of them.
- Peel off the black parts of the tomatillos and peppers. Seed and devein chiles. Transfer to food processor.
- Mix all the flesh of the tomatillos and peppers together with the lime juice until it is a smooth paste (unless you prefer your salsa chunkey).
- Spice the salsa with salt, paprika and fresh cilantro
- Your salsa is now ready to be eaten. If you are not going to eat all the salsa straight away, bring the salsa to a boil before canning it.